Public Safety

Published on August 14th, 2016 |


Sandy Springs man charged with battery in attack on two woman at Chastain Park

A Sandy Springs man, 33-year-old Silvestre Diaz-Duque,  has been charged with two counts of battery in connection with an attack on two sisters—reportedly 18 and 22 years of age— who were completing their run at Chastain Park around 9:40 p.m. Wednesday, Aug. 10.

Atlanta police were dispatched to the 100 block of West Wieuca Road and met with two women who said they’d been assaulted. The first victim said she and her sister had finished running around the park and were walking to their vehicle when the incident occurred.

The first victim said as she got closer to her car, she was attacked by the male suspect. The man, who “never said a word,” punched the second woman in the face and tried to grab the first victim, Atlanta police said.

The second woman ran for help as her sister fell to the ground. The first woman said that as she was kicking the suspect, the man put his hand over her mouth. The woman, who bit the man’s hand, said the suspect then punched her in the back, according to the police report.

The suspect fled the scene on foot, and was seen running south through the park. Police units arrived on the scene, and canvassed the area for any sign of the suspect. Units from the Tuxedo Neighborhood Patrol and Tuxedo Road Patrol saw a man matching the suspect’s description walking along Tuxedo Road.

The suspect was detained, and one of the victims was able to identify the man as the one who allegedly attacked her.

When interviewed by police, the suspect said he met the women and “asked for a ride back to his vehicle on Roswell Road.”

“The suspect stated as they were walking to the victim’s vehicle, he put his arm around victim number one’s shoulder and she began to freak out, so the suspect punched her in the face,” Atlanta police said.

He also said he was bitten on the hand by the first victim and when she fell to the ground, the second sister began to panic, “so he punched her in the face,” according to the police report.

“The suspect said that he wanted victim number one to stop screaming, so he put his hand over victim number one’s mouth, and she bit his hand again,” the police report states. At that moment, the suspect said he got scared and ran away from the scene.

Diaz-Duque was transported to the Fulton County Jail and reportedly was released on a $2,000 bond, records show.

Print Friendly, PDF & Email

Be Sociable, Share!

    About the Author

    Leave a Reply

    Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

    Back to Top ↑
    • Grab BuckheadView!

    • Follow Us


    • Brought To You By

    • Ad
    • Visit Our Other Publications

    • Ad
    • Ad
    • Ad