Public Safety

Published on July 12th, 2016 |


Mayor, police chief to meet with protesters Monday after urging cool down

(Updated at 5 a.m. July 14) Mayor Kasim Reed and Police Chief George Turner intervened as hundreds of protesters converged on Lenox Square  and the Governor’s Mansion in Buckhead Monday night, July 11, during a fifth straight night of protests over recent police shootings nationwide was held in Atlanta.

The mayor and Turner showed up and met with four young protesters, emerging from a police command vehicle 45 minutes later to announce a larger meeting Monday, July 18, at City Hall. It’s unclear if the demonstrations will continue this week.

Reed has twice entered the fray since demonstrations started Thursday, July 7, after African-American men were killed by police in Louisiana and Minnesota. He did so again Monday night, July when demonstrators camped in front of the Governor’s mansion began chants, demanding a meeting with him and the police chief.

Reed said his motivation for meeting Monday was opposite of Friday: “My feeling was they had been non-violent, done minimal property damage, and I watched them attempt to have a more orderly demonstration, so I thought it was appropriate to meet.”

At 4 pm Monday, the city of Atlanta issued a statement that said municipal ordinances, including closing times of 11 pm, would be enforced at all city parks.

Around 8:30 pm, WSB-TV reported that several people had been arrested as protestors marched down Peachtree Street, directly in front of Lenox Square.

The protest began around 7 p.m., according to Fox 5, at the Lenox Square MARTA station. MARTA security reportedly asked the protestors to move, and that’s when the crowd moved closer to the mall and then into the Peachtree and Piedmont road intersections. That’s where the arrests began.

Protestors then moved through Buckhead onto West Paces Ferry Road in front of the governor’s mansion and a large police presence.

Earlier on Monday, Atlanta Mayor Kasim Reed said officers have been subjected to insults and obscenities during the protests, and in some instances, had water bottles thrown at them.

Reed said officers and support staff have worked about 6,000 hours in overtime since the protests began.

The only protestor arrests prior to Monday came on Sunday night.

Print Friendly, PDF & Email

Be Sociable, Share!

    About the Author

    One Response to Mayor, police chief to meet with protesters Monday after urging cool down

    1. sherry gaynes says:

      Police should start to implore Church & Community Leaders to collect guns. SHow their groups pictures of the most recent perpetrators of crimes in this city. Racial profiling is wrong. Its an injustice. And people who are victims of it need assistance in their communities.
      Meanwhile lets get more cameras and patrol in areas know to underscore the disparity in of wealth in this city

    Leave a Reply

    Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

    Back to Top ↑
    • Grab BuckheadView!

    • Follow Us


    • Brought To You By

    • Ad
    • Visit Our Other Publications

    • Ad
    • Ad
    • Ad