Published on June 24th, 2015 |0
Cyclorama closes June 30 to prepare for move to Buckhead
where it is expected to reopen to the public in early 2017.
This fall, the Atlanta History Center will begin construction on the 23,000 square foot Lloyd and Mary Ann Whitaker Cyclorama wing, which will allow the Cyclorama team to reincorporate 3,268 square feet of the painting that have been missing for generations, as well as the diorama and plaster figures from the 1930s.
The restoration of The Battle of Atlanta painting will return the artifact to its full size and overall height. The Atlanta History Center has raised $32.2 million through private donors and philanthropies – including an endowment to ensure that Cyclorama artifacts are properly maintained at no cost to the taxpayers.
Today, Atlanta History Center’s Cyclorama team continues working with an international team of painting conservators, rigging experts, and structural engineers to plan and implement the transfer of the painting, the diorama, The Texas locomotive and the Cyclorama’s other artifacts to the Atlanta History Center.
The existing 1921 Cyclorama building in Grant Park will be developed by Zoo Atlanta into a premier community event space and become a featured part of the new African Savanna exhibit.
To view a presentation on the plans for the new facility at the Atlanta History Center, click here.