Published on April 8th, 2015 |0
Peachtree Road Farmers Market returns for 9th year April 11
Among the highlights of the opening day of the market is the announcement of the winners of the 2015 winning design for the third annual PRFM Reusable Bag Design Contest, sponsored
by COUNTRY Financial® and Peachtree Road Farmers Market.
Atlanta high school students were invited to use their creativity to show what the market and this year’s theme, “Live, Love, Be Green,” means to them. The winners of the contest will be announced and the winning design revealed at the Market on Saturday at 9 a.m.
Three Atlanta high school students have been selected as finalists for the “Live, Love, and Be Green” themed bag design contest. The finalists are: Dhruv Mehra, Grady High School, 9th grade; Peggy Pierre, Mundy’s Mill High School, 11th grade and Aydreon Wynn, Mundy’s Mill High School 12th grade.
The winner will receive a $1,000 scholarship from COUNTRY and have their design showcased on thousands of reusable canvas bags that will be distributed at the farmers market throughout the season. Two runners-up will receive a $500 scholarship and have their designs featured at the unveiling ceremony.
Now in its ninth year, Peachtree Road Farmers Market is the largest producer-only farmers market in Georgia. Producer-only means that everything at the market has been grown, raised, or made by the seller, ensuring fair prices for both the vendors and the consumers.
The Market takes place on Saturday mornings beginning April 11th, rain or shine, until December 19th. PRFM is a Wholesome Wave market and accepts and doubles SNAP (EBT/food stamp). In early Spring to early Fall, the market runs from 8:30 a.m. to 12 noon every Saturday.
There are over 35 chef demonstrations scheduled for the 2015 season and 50 weekly vendors. Each week brings new produce, vendors, events and fun!
For the 2015 market season, PRFM welcomes back many of the favorite farmers and vendors and introduces some new members. Some of our new Market faces this year include:
100% Artisan Foods will be serving up fresh tamales and salsas made from farmers’ seasonal produce and Georgia farm-raised animals.
- Boom Biscuits will fill the Southern heart with delight with hot and fresh biscuits and biscuit sandwiches filled with savory and sweet fillings from our market vendors.
- Oliver Farms makes cold-pressed nut and seed oils from locally sourced peanuts, pecans, and sunflowers as well as home-milled nut and seed flours.
- Proof Bakery will be offering up “no shortcuts” artisanal breads including baguettes, country sourdough loaves, multigrain rye, and an abundance of others to fulfill your bread needs.
- White Oak Pastures joins the PRFM family of farmers with goat, lamb, leather goods, and beef tallow soap, all produced on their farm in Bluffton, GA.
- Yalla makes its Market debut by quenching market attendees’ thirst with handcrafted sodas made from local fruits, vegetables, and herbs.