Published on October 13th, 2014 |1
Public invited to reopening of Fort Peachtree Thursday
Contrary to what was previously reported, the public does not have to register in advance to attend the re-opening ceremony…just show up.
Today’s Fort Peachtree is a replica of part of the city’s first non-Indian settlement, which was built by the Atlanta Department of Watershed Management near the Atlanta Waterworks pumping station as part of the bicentennial celebration. The original fort was built in 1814.
Councilmember Adrean sponsored legislation in October 2013 to re-open the Fort Peachtree facility to the public.
This year marks the 200th birthday of the fort, which was located on a low bluff overlooking the Chattahoochee River at its confluence with Peachtree Creek, and the replica takes the
imagination back to the early 1800s in Atlanta’s history.
At this location, a crude fort, erected by 1st Lt. George Rockingham Gilmer (who later was governor or Georgia from 1829-31 and 1837-39), was raised in 1814.
It was described as “two large hew’d logg block houses, six dwelling houses, one fram’d store house, one bridge . . . and five boats” which cost the government “not less than five thousand dollars.”
It’s also the site from which Peachtree Street/Road takes its name, although some believe instead of a peach tree a commanding pine, or “pitch” tree, stood at the site and was the origin of the name.
The historic 15-acre green space along the Chattahoochee River and Peachtree Creek also gives northwest Atlanta residents some public land to enjoy.